Created in 2005, AquaFed is the International Federation of Private Water Operators. AquaFed represents more than 400 private operator providing water and sanitation services in more than 40 countries worldwide. According to GWI (2013), over 1 Billion people count on private operators to serve them on a daily basis.
AquaFed’s main action aims at:
- Connecting private water operators with all stakeholders engaged at the international level on water services and challenges:
- International organisations
- Public authorities
- Civil society (researchers, academics, experts, NGOs, journalists, etc.)
- Advocating for the benefits of public-private partnerships as an option in managing water and sanitation services for public authorities and consumers, depending on the local context.
- Improving the water industry and solving issues: AquaFed is sharing the expertise of the private operators and is working with the international community to identify solutions to address world’s water issues[JM1] .
- Providing information and counsel: AquaFed aims at being a reliable source of information on private operators’ contributions for all stakeholders interested in water and sanitation services.
- AquaFed is one of the few representatives of the water business community to have these accreditations, which makes the federation a preferred partner to promote water issues
- AquaFed is an NGO with special Consultative status at the United Nations ECOSOC (since July 2011)
- AquaFed is registered in the joint voluntary transparency register of the European Commission and the European Parliament
- AquaFed representatives are accredited to the European Parliament